So,  I hit a couple of good sales purely by accident this past weekend at Hancock Fabrics. There were some lovely packages of 36 skeins of DMC floss for about 11 cents a skein. Um, yeah, count me in! Since I’m a total newbie to the embroidery scene, I have zero thread stash. And, of course, I realized the problem this is sometime mid last week when I decided to do the Sublime Stitching sampler piece and turned to, uh, um, right, no thread stash. I do have more than plenty of the snowman Christmas reds for that project, but a sampler needs to be bold and colorful. Or at least mine do.

So fast forward to the 11 cents a skein deal and me buying perhaps more than necessary (really though, can you really quantify “necessary”?). And then me getting home, organizing my sewing supplies (a post-holiday season must) and realizing, um, where do you stick all of these strings and bits? I’ve seen the little floss cardboard card thingies and have been unimpressed. It looks like a lot of work to get on the darn card and work to get off the darn card. That’s so not for me. So I got to thinking: crayon rolls, knitting needle and crochet hook rolls… I’d seen them aplenty on everyone’s lovely blogs this holiday season. So, why not a floss roll.

So in harmony with my new resolutions about construction and winging it on occasion, I set out yesterday to make a floss roll. And I did. And let’s just say, it’s a beta, maybe even an alpha. Here it is all rolled up (tell me that isn’t perfect for traveling though!).

floss-roll-1

And here it is unfurled.

unfurl-midThe fitting of the floss is a little tricky. Originally, I thought the floss should go in long-wise, but that would be a little tricky to easily slide in and out of the little pockets. But I also really wanted each pocket to hold at least two skeins. So you’ll see they do, but two only.

unfurl-tight

To get them to fit and to get them to slide into the pockets easily I folded them over in half and then pulled the paper wrappers on either end a little closer to each end. (Maybe I need a picture of that?) In any case, I like the idea over all. And I learned a ton. For example, I hate the unsightly sewing lines visible from the outside of my roll because I used only 2 pieces of fabric (exterior and interior) instead of an additional third piece on top of the interior on which to sew the pockets. I was a little tunnel-visioned with my desire to use fat quarters with minimal to no extra cutting (and because who doesn’t have 1700 extra fat quarters just lying around?). So that’s why I thought it would be easy as a wink to just fold the exterior to the interior and sew that down. I’ll have to figure out if I can re-tool it with still minimal fat quarter cutting.

I did two things that I liked and will keep when I monkey with the next version (after all I have uh a few hundred skeins that need homes :)).  First, I used a combination of elastic and prepackaged bias tape for the closure. I sewed the bias around the elastic, being careful NOT to sew on the elastic itself so that the bias tape only prettily encased the ugly elastic. Then I sewed  only the elastic ends into the roll. So it’s pretty, but it also stretches to the right length to hold the roll together. Next time I think I will make my own tubing so that way 1) it matches perfectly and 2) I can make the casing bigger. I also think that this is an excellent candidate for fold-over elastic. I might have to get my hands on some and give it a whirl. Second, I think it’s a must to use a white fabric of some sort on the interior. It really helps make the subtle difference in shades pop.

So there you have it folks. An alpha of my floss roll. I’ll improve upon it and hopefully get something to the point where I could make a tutorial in case folks are interested.

Advertisements