Snowy Sewy Day

I didn’t work today and it snowed and snowed and snowed,so what’s a mama to do? Play date. Come on over! Which left me plenty of time and peace for this —>
You can’t see the snow so well, but I’ve got just about everything I need for several hours of happiness in that bright little corner. But happiness was simply not meant to be.

Sigh. So today, I wasted 2 hours of my life trying to make the super cute no-cash wallet from Bend the Rules Sewing. I had something niggling my memory about sizing that I might have read somewhere and thought, nah, I won’t hop on line and see because I’ll just waste valuable sewing time. Indeed.

So first, I enlarged the pattern 136% as instructed. To do this, I had to figure out our new copier/scanner thingy we got free with my camera. Fine. I got it. I went upstairs. I cut it out. I cut the exterior panel, the lining, and the facing. I made the pockets. Then when I got to the step where I was supposed to pin the pockets to the lining, I noticed that there was little room for both. And I looked, and I looked, and thought, surely, this cannot be right. Then I decided to look at the original pattern to see how they fit the pockets on. They fit them on just fine with the bottom 1/3 of the pattern that I was missing. Sigh.

So, back downstairs to the copier where I had to make the pattern enlarge in two halves and then tape together. Then found more fabric and re-cut everything. Then pinned, then sewed, then layered and pinned and turned right side out through a small turning hole. And thought, where? where? NOOOOOO. Seriously. Sometimes, I just don’t think at all. I had pinned the pockets to the wrong side of the lining fabric, which now meant that layered together right sides out, the pockets were nice, snug, and unusable on the INSIDE of the bloody thing. So I ripped apart that seam, re-ironed everything and – the pockets, again. And sewed them, again. And re-layered, again. And re-sewed and turned again. This time, bueno.  Then I pressed, edge-stitched and decided to throw a few cards in it to see where I should make the fold stitches. And this….

Big Card, Small Pocket

That’s right. The cards don’t fit. I looked at the pattern, my enlargements, my cutting and sewing, and I had done them all correctly, despite the lack of brain power in placing the damn pockets. I think as I look at the pattern and put my amex over it, there’s really plenty of wiggle room, then subtract 1/4 inch on both sides, and it squeaks in. Squeak

Then subtract 1/8 inch on both sides for the edge stitching and you have failure. Or at least I do. So, I will try this again. But not today, and I will add 1/8 inch all around all pattern pieces and see if that does any better. At least my daughter now has a “wallet” that she’ll be delighted to play with.

Note: This is no way disparages Ms. Karol’s (Angry Chicken) book. I get that they are supposed to be snug so the cards don’t slide out. 1/4 inch precision is difficult because everyone sews it a hair differently (scant, generous, etc).

And I did get to really think about the construction as I de-constructed it a few times, and it would be super easy to make one to carry cash and a driver’s license… something small enough to discreetly fit into a back jeans pocket. Back in my clubbing days, I would have yearned for such a thing. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl in a few days when “wallet” isn’t a four letter word.

Advertisements